Wednesday, January 13, 2010

weigh in

I refuse to weigh in for another 3 weeks. those freaks on biggest loser who lose weight like crazy had me thinking i would lose 10 pounds in a week. so i weighed and of course when that didn't happen I flipped. poor molly will probably need meds after dealing with me this week.

so after 49 expletives and road rage I get an email and phone call from NFP Molly that says this:

I am sorry I forgot to mention this at class. For those of you who are trying to lose weight as your main goal, there is something you need to know. There is something I call the Weight Gain Phenomenon. If you are fans of the show The Biggest Loser, you know this as "week 2" of the show. During the very beginning of starting a structured exercise and diet plan, it is very normal to lose very little and even GAIN weight. Here is the reason... Our bodies are confused as hell about what we are doing to it!
We each have our own habits, and our body gets used to them. If your body is used to not exercising AND taking in a lot of calories, it programs itself to run as efficiently as possible to that standard. When you begin exercising and dropping the calories, it shocks your body twice as much. Your body goes into a protection mode. It thinks you are STARVING yourself. So your body then greatly slows down your metabolic rate, decreasing the normal amount of calories you typically burn in a day. Your body is trying to conserve energy (calories) because it doesn't know when your going to start your "normal" eating habits again.
This usually lasts 1 or 2 weeks, then your body figures out this is how its going to be, and readjusts accordingly to be as efficient as possible. Give it a little time and you will start seeing the progress you're looking for!
In a quick search I found this website explaining it in more detail, with added reasons to the problem as well: http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/gainingweight.htm

3 comments:

gem52372 said...

I have a really great article on "Why the scales lie" if you wanna read it. Its all about what happens while we are trying to lose and why our bodies hold on to the weight and even add weight during the process. Just let me know!!

Robin said...

yes I would love to see that article!

gem52372 said...

Working on finding it again =)